Monday, May 16, 2011

What the heck does "Schola Abdico" mean?

I ran across the Latin words "schola abdico" when searching the internet for information about homeschooling. As soon as I understood the meaning of the phrase, I knew that would be the name of our "school" - The Schola Abdico Academy.

Schola  = School, followers of an education system

Abdico = Disinherit, renounce, reject, disapprove of

So it's simple, really... our name states that we are rejecting the traditional education system... but it sounds so intellectual and official, doesn't it?

Of course, we don't really need to name our school (though some states require one when filing homeschooling paperwork), but the kids and I decided we liked the idea of having a name, and of it being our little inside joke. I've also read comments from others that it prevents questions and issues from arising sometimes when filling out forms that ask for a school name.  I even plan to print it on student ID cards that the kids can carry when we are on "field trips."

I did come up with a few other possibilities for school names...

  • The Brat Academy (Though I'm not sure non-military families would get it!)
  • Nima School (Nima = The first half of Nick and the last half of Emma)
  • SANE Acadamy (SANE = All our initials... though inSANE is probably more like it!)

If you are a homeschooling family, did you name your school?

2 comments:

  1. UPDATE: Tonight I was at Books-A-Million and found out that homeschool parents can apply for an "educator card" that gives a 20% discount for "items used in the classroom." When entering my information into the computer she had to enter a school name! I answered without hesitation... though I had to spell it for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well obviously the only schooling going on at my house are my training trials with Cricket. But if I were a HS'er i'd be all for it. Maybe South Texas HIGHNOONS Institute of Technology. Or STHIT. Lisp? haha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!