Thursday, May 26, 2011

Here We Go, Buzzards! Here We Go!

The kids said to me a couple days ago that if we were going to have a school name, then we should also have a school mascot. Ideas were tossed around...  Nick wanted to be the Serpents but I knew my mother (who is terrified of snakes) would never approve... and Emma's suggestion of having a Bat for a mascot was completely predictable as she has been obsessed with them for years. Neither option represented both kids well. A little more thought and I came up with the obvious answer.

For years I have called the kids my "buzzards." My mother's friend used the phrase once and I thought it was hilarious. Why are kids buzzards? Because they pick-pick-pick at you until there's nothing left. I use it as a term of endearment. Really. I use the word automatically now and the kids answer to the call of "Hey, Buzzards!" or "Get in the car, Buzzards!" without hesitation. I sometimes get a funny look from strangers when I use the term in public, but the kids don't mind.

So I decided it only made sense for our mascot to be a Buzzard... and when you have a school name... and a mascot... well it only makes sense to also have a school crest...

1 comment:

Thanks for leaving a comment!