Thursday, May 26, 2011

My First Homeschool Smile

The first day of "summer vacation" and the kids are "bored." We decided to have a "lazy day" to revel in the fact we have no where to be and nothing to do. They watched some TV, played some video games, worked on Lego and model building. We've been under a thunderstorm warning for much of the day so playing outside wasn't an option.

I jokingly suggested they could do a couple pages from their "summer bridge" workbooks and they both said, "OK!" While that was a little suprising on its own, what really took me by surprise was HOW they did their work.

I checked on Nick after a few minutes and found him laying on the floor with his work. He told me he decided to work on his B-17 model some more and do worksheet problems while he waited for paint to dry and glue to set.  He also had his iPod in his ears and told me that he had the volume turned down low but that he thought it helped him focus having the music playing.

I then went to check on Emma and found she was no longer in her bedroom at her desk. Instead I found her outside at the picnic table doing her work. The rain had stopped and she told me since it was nice out so she thought she would do her work there.

I saw... and my children learned... they can work in a place and in a way that suits them. It was my first homeschool smile.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, girl!!!!! I'm so excited for you! This brings tears to my eyes. =D They've been set free! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just commented on your curriculum post and I can't remember if the book I suggested (Drawing on the Right Side of Your Brain" brought this up or if it was my design instructor, but especially when drawing, only listen to music with no words. Classical, Enya, New Wave, Stevie Vai, Eric Johnson's Ah Via Musicom ... etc. I carried this habit with me to flight school while doing daily questions and studying. Words interfere with right brain activities, now not sure how (if) it might interfere with left brain activities, but I found it a very good study tool. Just thought I'd mention it.

    There is also even music that is designed using binaural beats ... (google) ... it is fascinating. I listen to it at night. It is designed for wake up, for exercise, and various other activities. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!