Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Homeschooled Garden

I live on federal property on a military installation which has a rule that we are not supposed to plant a vegetable garden in the ground because 70 years ago there was a pesticide used that may or may not have been used in the housing area and may or may not still be on the surface. But about a mile and a half from our house is a “community garden plot” that allows each family who wants one to work their own 25x40 foot plot. I’ve had successful gardens in the past, and decided we would get a plot for our use this summer.

But the idea of a garden in the community area was far better than the reality.  In addition to the fact that produce from other gardens has already been stolen by random people who decide they want to take from others' hard work, the inconvenience of the distance from the house, the sharing of one water spigot between every 4 plots, and the amazing number of weeds I’ve had to deal with (because I have empty, unworked plots on two sides that now have chest high weeds that are reproducing right into my plot)... it has turned into a nightmare.

I went last weekend to do some maintenance and nearly cried. I was so frustrated with it all... all my hard work and effort...  and outside influences (inconsiderate garden “neighbors,” thieves, and the weeds) were ruining what should have been a fun and fulfilling experience for my family.

It kind of reminded me of our public school experiences.

So then I got to thinking... if I brought my kids home to “grow them up” the way I think they should... why not “homeschool” my plants too?

I have a couple of those Topsy Turvy plant bags I found on sale for a fraction of their normal cost a year ago but never used and a few empty pots I’m not already using for flowers and herbs. I bought some shepherd’s hooks to hang the Topsy Turvys and have been watching the back yard for sun light exposure so I can put them in the right spot.

We’ve snooped a little and discovered other homes have in fact dug gardens into their back yard (including one that received the coveted “Yard of the Month” award... so it isn’t like the no planting rule is being enforced). So we have decided to till out a small spot to put in a few plants as well.

I’m going to be able to tend to my plants on my schedule, using our resources, and not be dependent on others. The kids will have a far easier time tending to their own plants and will be able to make decisions about what care is needed with a simple look out the window instead of a drive to the garden plot. I will be able to grade them for their efforts and how well they take the initiative to care for their plants. Plus, they will be rewarded for those efforts, without the fear of their produce being stolen.

It will truly be our “Homeschooled Garden” ... I just hope that we don’t end up in THIS situation...

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! :) I love gardening... can't wait to read how yours turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a bit disheartening for me to read. I grew up going to community gardens on post and it was actually a fun, "community" experience. I had hoped to get a plot next summer. Maybe we will do pots instead. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!